WHAT DO CHILDREN LEARN AT NURSERY?
AT NURSERY WE PLAY!
It is fun and essential in the development of skills, attitudes and knowledge. Play provides a wonderful opportunity to learn through experience and discovery. Through observation and assessment each child is supported at the level of development he or she has reached in a particular area. As we work with the children we aim to encourage self-esteem and confidence and to consolidate and extend ideas and skills. In the nursery we aim to provide a balanced curriculum according to the children’s needs and interests. Each half term we work around a different topic, planning activities and experiences through which this curriculum is delivered. All our activities are planned within seven main areas of learning and experience:
- Communication and Language Children have opportunities to develop their early language skills (speaking and listening), and early reading and writing skills.
- Physical Development Children are encouraged to develop their manipulative skill through the use of pens, pencils, brushes, scissors, etc. and small construction equipment. Children have opportunities to gain control over their bodies: running, climbing, jumping, throwing, catching, etc.
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development We aim to help the children build confidence and self-esteem and to develop appropriate social skills.
- Literacy Involves encouraging children to link sounds and letters. Children will be given access to a wide range of reading materials. We will be using Read Write Inc which is a whole school literacy programme designed to create fluent readers, confident speakers and willing writers. For support at home visit “You Tube” and search “Read Write Inc Phonemes Pronunciation Guide DVD”
- Mathematics Children have opportunities to develop their early mathematical skills (i.e. counting, measuring and comparing, exploring shapes).
- Understanding the World Children are encouraged to develop their scientific skills through investigation and observation. They also have opportunities to develop their technological skills.
- Expressive arts and design Children are encouraged to develop their creativity through a wide range of activities in art, music and imaginative play.
All children must be at least three years old. Our nursery has 40 places, 20 for each session, morning and afternoon.
Nursery hours are:-
If you are interested in securing a place please come into the school office and collect an application form.